The Chair of the Mission Board for Soil health and food, presents the “Caring for soil is caring for life” mission
#MissionSoil #HorizonEU #EUmissions
Why is the mission needed…
- Healthy Soils are the basis for nutritious and safe food.
- Soils deliver vital, interconnected ecosystem functions: water regulation, hosting, biodiversity, nutrient cycling, climate mitigation and adaptation, carrying landscapes and cultural services.
- Soil is a scarce, non-renewable resource: it takes hundreds of years to generate 1 cm of topsoil but only a couple of years or less to destroy it.
- Soils are threatened: 60-70% of all soils in Europe are unhealthy as due to current management practices, pollution, urbanisation and the effects of climate change.
- Soils health is key in the implementation of the Green Deal and its strategies (Farm to Fork, Biodiversity, Forestry, Zero Pollution and Climate).